Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Quilt Festival

The Generations of quilting
This is a quilt My mother made for my daughter.  My daughter calls it her summer quilt, she has a heavier one for winter. So we have name the pattern "Summer quilt".  My mother sewed this quilt on her Singer Feather Weight, and it is hand quilted. It believe this may be one of the last, she quilts this way due to arthritis and carpel tunnel. We love grandma for her wonderful choice of colors and pattern. This quilt was made to fit all the way down the edge of my daughters bed, thanks to this the quilt will most likely fit a double bed and grow up with her.
My mother  learned to sew from her mother and my great grandmother. They both quilted and sewed clothing. We have had at least 5 generations in a row  that not only could sew but quilt. My mother has some of the quilts and I hope to get them photographed for spring festival. My daughter as she learns will be the 6 Th generation. Even my son had dabble at the machine so maybe there hope for him yet! I'll be happy if he can mend or hem for himself.

This is my quilt. It is a shrunken down version of the Card Trick pattern. I like this smaller block for baby quilts and youth  blankets. This is one of my favorite quilts I have made, unfortunately it had to go to it's home with the baby it was made for.  At one point I was making baby quilts for every coworker that had a baby in my husbands office.  They became quite popular. When we moved I did not start it again, for it became to expensive.
   Sneak a peek at the back, and you might see some of my hand quilting.
The youngest generation is  7  and learning to sew.!!! yea!!!
This quilt was sewn by my 7 year old daughter at a tractor show this summer with grandma and grandpa. The cool this is it was sewn on a old antique Hand Crank sewing machine! I have been informed that she sewed all the strips into squares. Grandma in order to save time sewed the batting and back on. She did such a good job that the squares didn't even need  straighting. Needless to say I have a very proud little girl!  I guess my buying her a Janome for her 6Th birthday wasn't a bad idea.  Its the Hello Kitty model! Aren't you all jealous! :o)

12 comments:

  1. Love the quilts. Isn't it great to see generations learning from each other.
    There is no quilting history on my side of the family but my mother-in-law is a fabulous quilter and my girls are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you come from a family of quilters and are sharing the art of quilting with your young daughter. Each of your quilts are lovely. Thanks for sharing. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilts. I want to try the 'card trick' block someday

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just so amazing to be able to claim 6 generations of quilters, including your own 7 yr old. I wish! If anything the reverse is happening, I inspired my mother to start! The summer quilt is my favourite, the proportions are perfect, you can tell that it was a well thought pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts! I LOVE that summer quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 7 years old. Thats amazing and what a great job. I love the quilts. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the generational aspect of your family quilts! Each is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the quilt your mother made is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing and WONDERFUL gift your family shares!!! Each quilt is stitched with that sewing legacy. Imagine the magic, love and power those stitches imbue. ; ) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilts! Its so wonderful to have one made by several generations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visting my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.